Re: [gnome-women] The Gnome Foundation: representative?

On 08/09/2005, at 3:06 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:

I wonder if, firstly, we can get some stats on how many women there are
in the Gnome Foundation to start with, and secondly, if we can  start
encouraging more women to join, and thus build up some probability that
we might get a woman on the board.

It would be nice to see GNOME Women taking the lead in getting the
developers to apply for membership to the GNOME Foundation. Getting a
woman on board is not directly related to having women as members, but I
would sure love to see that happen this time around.

It would be great, wouldn't it, Sankarshan? I wonder how we can help make this happen ... I know the constraint is always available time, but maybe we can get together some names of Gnome Women, and each approach a few and encourage them, firstly to apply for membership of the foundation, and secondly, ask if they'd be interested in running for a place on the board, or know of anyone who would be interested.

The difficult thing about a large online community like this, with everyone working hard at their own aspects of it, is that we don't really have a whole-community view of who's involved. I have some picture of the translation area, where I spend most of my time in Gnome, but I don't really know anyone outside that, apart from here :), and people who appear briefly on the translation list for individual purposes.

I don't know how we create a central identity in the first place, let alone get a view of it for all of us which shows us what we, women, are doing in Gnome, who we all are and what we want to do. Although we talk of being a community, we're really an assembly of lots of smaller communities, so it's hard to gain interest in any issue which concerns the umbrella structure. How would we encourage people to vote for a specific candidate, in this case, a Gnome-Woman?

We need a way to reach women in Gnome, get this Gnome-Women network working for us. It's a terrific idea, and we're creating some excellent resources. (I don't mean, get it working only for this issue, but in general, make it not only a part of life for women in Gnome, but an identity, a central strength that is all of us working together.)

How, is another matter. :S

This is just a general ramble, not a policy of any kind. ;) I'm trying to get my head around the situation. Anyone who finds pieces of my head, please superglue them on the appropriate mount point. ;) Thankyou.