Drupal for 2006.guadec.org

GNOME webhackers, here comes a question from the GUADEC organisation:
what about using Drupal CMS - http://drupal.org - to manage
http://2006.guadec.org ?

Advantages over the default static pages:

- Database of registered users that could be used for announcements etc
and be carried over in next editions. Could be expanded with CivicCRM
features at some point although we don't need this module to start -
http://drupal.org/node/33464

- Definition of permissions at a role level i.e. guadec organiser, board
member, foundation member, registered user, anonymous user...

- Tasks par role: who can write, edit, delete, read. This ease a lot the
contributions / evolution of the site and decentralised collaboration.

- a good collection of integrated modules easy to activate/deactive:
news, forum, books (like wikis), calendar, RSS feeds...

- Paypal framework to accept payments via credit cards or paypal money
and prepared for usages such as event registration and merchandasing
sale. http://drupal.org/project/paypal_framework

- A wide range of contributed modules available
http://drupal.org/project/Modules .

Maybe more.  :)

Disadvantages: none as far as I see.

This could also be seen as a test to see if this CMS could be used for
other things in GNOME. Drupal allows multiple installations sharing
tables i.e. users.

We started this discussion in summer but it ended up without a
resolution. This time we need to get to an agreement because we need to
set up the site ASAP.

Thank you.
--
Quim Gil      http://interactors.coop | http://desdeamericaconamor.org