gnome.org to become really a community site

I was having another look to http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb ,
specifically the use cases and the New Structure.

Looks to me like the gnome.org revamp is still pointing to a quite
unidirectional, poorly interactive site with an institutional surface
and links to subcommunities spread in the deep levels of the conceptual,
abstract 'GNOME community'.

The fact that we are having a "community" subsite assumes unconciouslly
that the rest of subsites are not community. IMO the whole gnome.org
should be considered a community site, because the other subsites are
all community based as well.

I understand it is very complex to integrate the various applications,
user lists and subsites that conform this community (from Planet to
Bugzilla, from live to gnomesupport.org, from gnomedesktop.org to
guadec.org). But at least the revamped wgo should offer to everybody an
introductory and integrated community by itself.

Imagine something like:

"Register here if you are interested in GNOME. Get the news and updates.
Tell us what you think about GNOME. Get support from the community.
Share your ideas with the development teams. Get involved in the spread
and improvement of this source of cool & free desktop tools."

We should be able to offer a single login and an integrated navigation
and interface to accomplish these very basic actions. If they are not
"basic" in gnome.org is because we have an old problem we need to solve
at some point.

The single login is not the most important bit: in order to get involved
in Ubuntu you need a lot of non integrated logins, still today, but they
are successful on having a quite integrated and complex community.

Possible solution that could be applied during the revamp process:

1 - Using a community management system to handle the homepage and the
first level of the whole gnome.org site. The Foundation is responsible
of this site and the user data obtained in its database. The Foundation
CRM is managed on this user data. Any member of the Foundation is
registered in this site. Any GNOME user and developer is invited to join
(register) with no further compromise. We keep different roles for
different user types. This user list *is* the GNOME community.

2 - Moving gnomesupport.org to support.gnome.org, integrating to it
other support related areas currently under *.gnome.org, and integrating
all this users and data to the CMS.

3 - Moving gnomedesktop.org to news.gnome.org, integrating other news
stuff (Planet, Journal...) and making it part of the gnome.org CMS.

4 - Moving guadec.org to events.gnome.org and same integration thing.

5 - Creating an also integrated download.gnome.org listing the GNOME
Desktop and the applications we are saying that are part of the project
GNOME. If gnome-files.org is not the solution for this (pitty) we will
need to create a solution. With a CMS this is actually quite simple. But
we can't afford is to leave something as key as the software download to
an external organisaton we don't control.

6 - Decide whether art.gnome.org keeps being a separated item or gets
integrated in download.gnome.org. I'm for keeping it separated because
from the user and developer perspective tey are totally different.

7 - Managing developer.gnome.org from the CMS, moving the first layout
of live.gnome.org to nice and structured CMS based pages, pointing to
the wiki where all the wiki work is being done as usual. Setting from
the CMS pages forms and links to help newbies interacti with bugzilla
without even going there, unless they want to. I would pu also all the
developer documentation and ISD stuff under developers. Users
documentation will go under support.gnome.org

8 - foundation.gnome org managed fro the CMS of course putting there all
the transparency the GNOME Membershio is asking for.

We don't need to do this at once, but at least somethinglike this should
be the plan. Otherwise we will need IMveryHO to revamp the site 6 months
afther releasing the current revamp.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org