Software Map

Hi all,

the GNOME Software Map still uses the old design. As I'm actually
looking for a way to help with the GNOME web site, I made up
my mind regarding that section of www.gnome.org.

There is a link to the software map on the start page; users
looking for additional software will come across this page. So
in my eyes there is the need for an update. But instead of simply
updating the page's design, i'd like to propose making some general
changes regarding the presentation of GNOME-related software on
the web.

A couple of months ago, Jeff talked about his plans reworking
the project pages to match Apple's site having separate
pages for each product (he mentioned http://www.apple.com/safari/
as an example). I like this idea and have taken a closer look on
http://www.apple.com/software/ to see how they present their
products to the masses.

Based on that page, I made a mockup for a new "Software" page,
which will cover all applications associated with the GNOME
project. Thus, the page is a merge between the software map
and the projects index page:

    http://www.stefanrotsch.de/stuff/gnome-software-1.html

I'm currently thinking about it having four sections:

  * "Core Components" - Applications part of GNOME,
  * "Fith Toe" - Applications part of 5th Toe,
  * "Applications" - Applications associated with GNOME,
  * "Tools" - (Development-)Tools, Libraries, etc.

and in a box the "Latest Updates". This gives at least 10-15 items
per topic where Apple only has 3-7, so I arranged the items in
two columns. The Applications section should maybe contain the
sections currently available in the software map only, as there
are too many apps to fit on a single page (not in the mockup).

I'd like to point out this does not affect Jeff's plans reworking
the project pages in any way.

Please give comments and let me know if I may continue working
on the software section.

Stefan