Re: PHP+gettext (was Re: My stab at the templates)

<quote who="Paul Cooper">

> Let the flames begin ;-)

Seems a few people think we've just been arguing about this for months...
Better catch up to expectations, hey?

> But more seriously - what are our hardware constraints? Will we be able to
> support apache + tomcat + fabric or apache + PHP + PHP templates?

Owen and crew (the admins of the GNOME machines) have made it pretty clear
that they wouldn't want to deal with anything more on the machines, and that
means PHP or Zope (Gnotices is a Squishdot site) at the moment.

[ On the gettext issue - it's an outrageously bad way to internationalise a
website, sure it fits in with our other internationalisation efforts, but
it's not the correct solution. I've seen some successes with XSLT-based web
sites and internationalisation; perhaps that's a worthwhile way to go. I'm
sure DV would be very pleased to see a libxslt PHP module for us to use! ]

   "Everyone says they like Free Software - not everyone is ready to make
  the tough choices to make it happen." - Maciej Stachowiak, GNOME Hacker