Re: PHP+gettext (was Re: My stab at the templates)

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 07:24:29AM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:

> I haven't checked your solution, but I hope "digging through code"
> wasn't a seriously considered approach for translations and maintaining
> translations anyway. :)
>
> I always thought about using gettext() in PHP - PHP has support for
> this? (http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.gettext.php) and gettext is
> the translation system used in the rest of GNOME - thus, GNOME
> translators can re-use dictionaries, statistics tools, and all other
> tools when translating the web site, and maintaining the translation
> will be just like maintaining any other GNOME translation. This has *so*
> many advantages other any other system - if we can use this, it will
> rock.

gettext is a solution based on the necessity of combining short strings
with code.  Even maintaining it in C really sucks; it just happens to be
the best you can do in that situation.  Doing it for entire pages of text
and/or html is not even realistically maintainable.

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson eventloop com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking