Re: new comp

Ulf Pettersson wrote:
> Do you really see this design as having a lot of room [at this screen
> size]? For this type of site wouldn't you say that a minimum resolution
> of 800*600 is more than acceptable? I find it very hard to believe that
> any visitors have lower resolutions than that for a site as geeky as Gnome.

I usually design for 4.0 browsers and newer. It seems most linux users
or people interested in gnome are likely to meet this. 723x395 is the
smallest resolution for a 4.0 browser on 800x600 res (mac IE 4). If we
aren't worried about this resolution, you can go from 723 to about 760
for newer browsers.

What I tried to do with this design is keep the branding, the
navigation, the content, and anything else important in an area that
would be viewable on a 640x480 screen. That way, although there will
still be a horizontal scrollbar, the important content will be viewable
without having to scroll.

The design also scales to fit on a larger screen. The content portion
will expand, so that the higher the resolution the user has, the more
they can view without scrolling. (the downside of an expanding design is
that if the user has an extremely high res., the design will not look as
good)

Overally, It won't be a problem to scale this design to whatever screen
size standard we want to use.

Do we have logs or stats of browser, platform, and resolution? Maybe
Joakim could set up something on the current site to let us log these
things for a week or so.