Re: Localized Pages

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 11:54:49AM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> Christian Rose wrote:

>> I was thinking that the solution being discussed was one based on the
>> user's language preferences in the browser, i.e. when the user goes to
>> www.gnome.org his language preferences are detected in his browser by
>> the site, and the pages automatically served in his preferred language.

> Just as an aside, we had a discussion about doing automatic langauge
> detection for websites on the ACM CHI-WEB mailing list a while back-- it
> turns out that most people don't like it for various reasons, and would
> rather pick their language themselves from the webpage.

> I can probably post a pointer to the archived discussion, if anyone's
> interested...

I'm curious. Specifically, was the reason for this one of:

* The browser sends broken language information, so that you end up with
  languages you didn't want at all (IE, for me at least)

* The browser has a sucky/no interface for actually selecting languages, or
  the user doesn't know about this interface

I clearly see the need to be able to choose language on the site, however, I
was hoping to be able to user the HTTP headers as the default...

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer