Re: [Fwd: Re: www.gtk.org]

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Shawn T Amundson wrote:

> In my opinion, we need these sites:
>
>  * Users Site
>  * Foundation Site
>  * Developers Site
>    - CVS Site
>  * Software List
>  * News Site

This all looks good, though I've always wished Gnome would phase out the
notion of a singular 'software list'.  This seems to be a term and
practice that's been carried over from the very early days of
www.gnome.org, when the number of Gnome apps was small enough for this to
be practical.  There is www.gnome.org/applist/, but it isn't presented
nearly as prominently as the recent software list (Which doesn't link back
to the applist).  Additionally, the format of software entries in the two
lists leaves a bit to be desired.

> I think the duplication between www.gtk.org and developer.gnome.org
> needs to be avoided somehow.  developer.gnome.org seems to get more
> attention updating, but I'd bet that www.gtk.org gets more hits.
> And they duplicate a lot of things.  Perhaps we should combine them
> and only have one site?

I'd be wary of merging the two, unless it was done in such a way that
differentiating Gnome API's from GTK API's was done intuitively.  This is
certainly possible, but it must be done with care, so that people who
are interested in strictly GTK development don't feel abandoned.

> I think the software list should be combine in some fashion with
> Advogato's project list.  I think strenghtening it on Advogato has
> more potential to help more projects than just GNOME alone, which
> is a win for everyone.

Gnome's software database can certainly link over to corrosponding
Advogato project (and developer) pages, but I don't think integrating them
much beyond that.  If we're linking to offsite project listings, I'd
like to also see the Freshmeat Gnome category be reconciled with Gnome's
own app listing for consistency.

> >  - How to provide effective navigation between the different sites
> >  - How to provide some visual consistency between different
>
> These are difficult.  But I do hear rumors that we do know of some
> graphic-capable people in the group that I'm sure will help with
> enough convincing.  (Get out the nail gun.)  ;-)

If the issue is linking different websites with more than one look & feel,
I wonder if VA's attempt with the 'OSDN' header would be a starting point.
Its implementation wasn't great; t doesn't look the same across sites, and
some sites in its nav don't have the OSDN header (Namely Slashdot).  But
it does provide a tie between the different VA-hosted sites.

Matt