Re: The current disscusion is good, but...

I agree with Ken on this, the first thing we need to do is get a set of
goals and decide on basic layouts.
The problems with the curretn GNOME sites steam from lacking of planing
and time.
Ken Evans wrote:

> Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, so correct me if I'm
> wrong but isn't discussing DBs vs. CVS a step we
> aren't ready to take?  It a great discussion but I
> thought there would be a plan of action first.
>
> The theory goes that one of the first things we're
> suppose to do is come up with a practical requirements
> list.  At least that is the theory.  Everywhere I've
> been, they've always been rushing a deadline so this
> never happens.
>
> I think it might be best to come up with one organized
> requirements list that would later be broken up into:
>
> *  front-end,    back-end
>
> OR
>
> *  front-end,
>    middle tier(if we have so much dynamic content),
>    back-end(back-end can only talk to middle tier,
> security).  Also, the middle tier could do some
> caching.

I think a three tiered model would work the best here.

> Then once the lists are put together, teams
> (scriptors, backend, and DBAs or CVS maintainers) can
> be made and each requirement could be argued over the
> best way to do it.
>
> In fact it might not even be wise to pick a language
> to implement it all until the lists are complete and
> everyone is sure they can easily, cleanly, quickly
> fulfill the requirements.
>
> We could have a quick discussion though to limit the
> languages we want to explore as possibilities.  It
> seems as though just about everyone knows PHP and that
> 90% of us know Perl and/or Python.  So maybe that
> would be the limit of the languages that would be
> candidates.

Being that I only know php, its the language I would like to use, but I
agree with you, we should wait until we have some requirements before we
pick a language.
I also agree that the only choices that make sense are PHP, Perl, and
Python.  Some people might also know some java, but i don't think enough
people do to consider it.

> Anyhow let me know what you all think.  Obviously,
> there are now quite a number of people in here that
> have more real world experience than I do, so I'm
> definitely not going to get offended.
>
> I'm just trying to help this get started on the right
> foot.  With the requirements in place, we could set
> goals (milestones) and more easily plan for the
> future.

I think the first goal would be to make a list of all the sites we are
going to be working on revamping.  Then find out where they are hosted
and what there current status is.
Then we should figure out who wants to lead up writing a requirements
list for each site.