Re: webdav and file overwriting

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 09:44 +0200, Christian Kellner wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> this problem is known, although not a problem of the webdav
> implementation itself. The gnome_vfs_xfer (or gnome_vfs_async_xfer) is
> the function to blame here! These general gnome-vfs function is used by
> nautilus (and others) to transfer files, and this function will delete
> the target file before replacing it with the new one.
> Maybe we can fix that problem there, although is function is very
> critical, so modifications to it must be done very carefully to not
> break nautilus!

I think the reason it does this is that not all gnome-vfs backends might
not support the overwrite-and-truncate semantics required for
overwriting to work. If we want to change this behaviour someone needs
to look into the details for at least all the current backends.

He's a suave guerilla assassin haunted by an iconic dead American confidante
She's an orphaned wisecracking journalist on her way to prison for a murder
she didn't commit. They fight crime!