Re: [patch] one-to-many HAL integration

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:31:12PM +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I haven't looked at the code for your module, but I would presume that
> if your iriver module accept an URI that uniquely identifies the address
> of the USB device, e.g. iriver:///<usb-bus-number>/<usb-device-number>
> then the GNOME VFS daemon, specifically gnome-vfs-hal-mounts.c, can
> receive the event from HAL [1] and create the icon in computer:/// and
> on the desktop.

Yes, we've talked about this.  Perhaps that is the best way to do it.
I thought it was a good time to bring it up with Alex all the same.
Obviously, if there is a more elegant solution I'll definitely go with
that than to add cruft to gnome-vfs.  I'll test it out and see how
well it works once I finish writing the module.

> This would have the advantage that it could also be used on systems that
> doesnt't use HAL by manually entering the path, iriver:///3/42, in
> Nautilus or something.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> [1] : You would need to tag your device with a device information file
> that merges something as specified here
>
>  http://davidz.fubar.dk/projects/hal/spec/hal-spec.html#device-properties-portable_audio_player
>
> specifically you will want to have portable_audio_player.access_method
> set to iriver or something. See also
>
>  http://davidz.fubar.dk/projects/hal/spec/hal-spec.html#fdi-example-mp3player

Thanks for the info! :-)

sri