Opening aarchives as virtual folders.

Hello,

I would like to use a virtual file system in a little project of mine as I am looking for an ability to open archives as virtual folders. I recall being able to do this in nautilus in gnome 1.x, but cant seem to now.
So basicly:
1) Is it possible to open archives as virtual folders in gnome-vfs programatically? 2) How would such a thing be done, and how hard would itbe to extend it for iso's etc.. (or are there already plugins for that?)
3) Is it possible to do this in nautilus?

Thanks!

-Daniel Brodie