Re: GnomeVFS & standard streams

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 08:38, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> Hi.
>
> In the application that i'm writing, I'm using GnomeVFS for file
> handling. Now I have to access the standard streams (standard input,
> output, error), and I'd like to have a consistent interface for those,
> too. Since I didn't find  anything similar in the current API, I'm going
> to write a new method based on the file: method.
>
> I was thinking of a console: method, which gives access to the standard
> streams via the 3 URIs:

This idea sounds good in two directions.

1. They could be used to watch/view logs, files, streams, etc.
2. They could be used as hooks for scripts or other programs to provide
a "generic" back-end interface to the gnome-vfs layer and then provide
actions based on output. Sort of a pipe, but in the vfs layer, to cause
some automated X console action to occurr.