Re: Authentication Cache for libsmb (gnome-vfs-extras)

On 20 Nov 2002, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> Would it be possible to move this login/password caching feature to an
> upper level ?  (ie put it somewhere where it could cache login/passwords
> for all gnome-vfs methods). As I see it, all gnome apps using gnome-vfs
> should automatically get an authentification dialog when necessary, but
> to be able to do that we need to cache this info to avoid asking for a
> password for every call to a gnome-vfs method :)
> I started to look at that a while back, and the code in Nautilus and eel
> which handles the authentication dialog shouldn't be too difficult to
> "extract" if necessary. I quickly hacked a login/password hash table in
> the Nautilus code, but never debugged it :-/ My main concern with that
> approach was about how long to keep the password (gnome-vfs lacks the
> notion of session for that :(.

This requires something like the gnome-vfs daemon that was discussed
earlier. Unfortunately I'm implementing a gnome-vfs method right now that
uses a server, and I have all sorts of problems with reentrancy and
threadsafeness, so this might be troublesome.

He's a sword-wielding one-eyed card sharp whom everyone believes is mad. She's
a virginal mutant Hell's Angel married to the Mob. They fight crime!