Re: ximian-smb branch merged

On 12 Dec 2002, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if the ximian-smb branch had already been widely tested
> (ie has it already been shipped by ximian in one of their desktop
> release) ? Because if it's not, I feel it's a bit late in the freeze
> process and risky to merge it now. And what is better in that branch
> compared to the old branch ? Is the code more maintainable, or is the
> old branch really buggy compared to that one ?

It has gotten some testing at ximian, I don't know exactly how much but
its been around a long time. It does fix a lot of outstanding issues, and
I don't want to fix all those bugs on HEAD when they've already been
fixed. I looked at both branches closely, and decided to use the best one
as a starting point for the merge.

No ABI, API or user-visible thing changed except when that was a bug in
the old code (such as it not allowing the user to login).

> Another thing, did your latest commit (
> libgnomevfs/gnome-vfs-result.[ch]:Add GNOME_VFS_ERROR_NO_MASTER_BROWSER
> error.) got approved by the release team ? If not, it would probably be
> better to ask them.

No. I'm sorry about that. It adds a new error to the GnomeVFSResult enum.
It is used to finally get a decent error message to a common error that
happens when using smb. zero ABI issues, and API is minimally affected
since the only programmer-visible change is that an error result for some
smb operations changed from a generic error to a more specific one.
[The user visible change is that you can get a better error message in
this situation]

Was that commit ok?

He's a short-sighted pirate matador gone bad. She's a chain-smoking insomniac
bodyguard with a knack for trouble. They fight crime!