Re: best gnome globe icon ever

On Tue 24-Jun-03 at  402 EDT, Francis Whittle wrote:
> I have one gripe with that globe (in fact just about any globe that is
> drawn in a circle).
>
> It's like this:  Whenever anyone wants to draw a symbol of 'the whole
> world' they think "hey let's draw a globe in a circle" and then go
> about it, invariably including only a half of the world in there...

There's always B. Fuller's dymaxion (sp?) map.  Imagine the sphere
bounding the earth as being approximated by triangles.  Fuller came
up with a layout using a relatively small number of triangles so
that when unfolded, no continents are broken up.  Nice looking, but
maybe not appropriate as an icon since it's much bigger than a
globe...  Ok, just did a web search and found a picture at
http://www.bfi.org/map.htm
I have a small cartoonish version, too.

Then there's always the United Nations 2D "globe" (projection) that
only leaves out Antartica.  Apologies if these few thoughts aren't
useful, since neither really lends itself to iconifying too well!  :-)
Just throwing out a few ideas.

	Mike Markowski