Re: Scroll bars.

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> Well.. um.. I don't use vi.. :) sorry about that... This is just
> important for the DEFAULT theme shipped with GNOME. The themability
> should be there to change whatever you like, but by DEFAULT a well
> thought-out setup should be installed, instead of it being hard-coded
> into gtk/gnome/apps. With E I say the default setup sure was much
> fuller than any default setup I ever saw out of twm or fvwm "out of the
> box" - but it is heavy... you can lighten it.

Yeah, E is a bit heavy - 8MB memory.  I think mine it got statically
linked...

Ok, stage 1.  Changing the look, theme-o-dream-o-rama style.

One of the goals in GTK was to keep the widget set small and
efficient.  So how do we add this stuff and keep memory usage
and such to a minimum?  I suggest we create a few example
widgets of what we want to do as proof-of-concept that we can
do it without bloating the toolkit.

How about we start with a button.  What things are going to need to
change to gtkwidget, gtkcontainer, gtkbutton, gtklabel, etc. just
to get a button to look different?  How do we "plug" in the themes
so they can change at runtime?  Or do we need to restart the app?

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;