Re: gconfd and multiple machines

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 12:13, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I noticed in http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ that it's possible to
> log in from more than one machine at once.
>
> I'm worried about the potential security aspect of enabling
> "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc though. Will it mean that anyone would be
> able to read/write gconf strings if this is enabled, or is it a potential
> security hole?
>
> Whilst browsing the orbit source, it seems possible to use tcpwrappers to
> restrict the IP addresses connecting to the gconf server. Does anyone one
> know how to specify this in /etc/hosts.allow for RedHat?

curiously enough if you take the other tack and make gconfd put its lock
files in /tmp you end up with all sorts of oddities on rhl 9.

if I set that up on a user. then login to a single machine as that user
then settings changes won't take place for that user until I logout,
after that they are ok, but they do odd things when you login to
multiple machines. It's like the last-written semantic is only partially
true.

I can send more debug logs if anyone is interested in the strange and
wonderful errors I received.

-sv

Then