Gnome2 woes...

After attempting to upgrade my happy Gnome 1.4+ via Ximian's RedCarpet
(from the dev channel), my Gnome is no longer happy. I wait for almost
two minutes for it to boot, or any Gnome app I use takes the same amount
of time to even start (gnome-terminal, gedit, gconf-editor - etc etc
etc) as well as all my fonts in Gnome are freaking out - they never stay
the same - and in trying to change fonts, I'm constantly faced with the
application crashing. I can get them to live for a few minutes by
deleting my ~/home/usernamegoeshere/.fonts.cache, but a few minutes
later, all the fonts are freaked again and I'm back to square one.

I get this wonderful error as well when I'm run gconf-sanity-check-1:

Please contact your system administrator to resolve the following
problem:
Failed to get a file lock: Failed to lock '/root/.gconfd/lock/ior':
probably another process has the lock, or your operating system has NFS
file locking misconfigured, or a hard NFS client crash caused a stale
lock (Resource temporarily unavailable)

...and I don't use NFS...

Can anyone give a clue to the clueless, please? TIA!

--
Fri Jan 10 20:30:00 EST 2003
  8:30pm  up 1 day, 10:12,  5 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.20, 0.18

Lying is an indispensable part of making life tolerable.
		-- Bergan Evans