Easy newbi questions

Hi All,
   I am running RedHat Linux 8.0

I have a couple of books on Gnome programming, GTK+/GNOME Programming by Peter Wright
   and GTK+/Gnome Application Development by Havoc Pennington.

I have written an application, which all work fine, but now I want more.....

   So I have a couple of questions:

   1. How do I compile an application for the Gnome 2 libraries.

   gnome-config seems only to return information for gnome-1.0, eg.

$ gnome-config --cflags gnomeui
-I/usr/include/gnome-1.0 -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/usr/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include

   2. Where is there any documentation on Gnome 2 library use?

   Containing details on New Widgets and any that have changed.

   3. How do I write a panel applet for Gnome 2?

   is there a document, or a simple example peice of code.

Many thanks,
   Gary.