Re: Embedding TTF fonts in PS files

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 12:39:50PM -0700, Alexander Gelfenbain wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2004, at 06:31, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> >There are two indirectly conflicting patches pending on this issue
> >right now.  One variant for the PS backend does some simple
> >subsettinging and uses CID fonts.  The other more extensive patch
> >from sun for the pdf backend uses subsetting code from STSF.  The
> >adoption of either is pending two types of response from sun
>
> It would be more accurate to say that the PDF patch from Sun
> usdes the subsetting code from OpenOffice. Indeed code
> in question can be found in STSF, but it was originally
> contributed to OpenOffice.

Apologies for the inaccuracy, The submitter's README listed it as

	The files sft.c, list.c and ttcr.c and corresponding header
	files are yanked from STSF (Standard Type Services
	Framework) text imaging and font handling framework for
	application developers.

I hadn't realized it was used elsewhere.   It's a bit larger a
collection that I prefer given that there is no clear way for this
copy to upstram updates.  However, that can be dealt with with some
cvs monitoring.

> >1) An attempt to have the pdf code use a cid/type2 approach
> >2) some licensing issues on the STSF code.
> >
> >My plan is to accept the PS patch for cid and conditionally accept
> >the PDF changes if the licensing issues can be fixed.
>
> What are the licensing issues?

The lawyer I checked with had an issue with the restriction
 * You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed or intended
 * for use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any
 * nuclear facility.

I've informed Suresh Chandrasekharan a few weeks ago and he's
looking into resolutions.