Re: [Gnome-print] Pango and gnome-print

Lauris Kaplinski <lauris@ximian.com> writes:

> [1] IMHO the current discussion was about frontend - which format to
> use, so people can print fully internationalized text with (very)
> good quality, without major pain.
> I originally thought it could be some rich text format, probaly
> fed line-by-line, and gnome-print would use Pango library to layout it.
> I was pointed, that it is potentially still too fuzzy.
> So discussion arised, whether to feed PangoLayout to frontend, and
> I was quite against it, for reasons you already mentioned
> [PangoLayout wasn't designed for PDF style applications...]
> I have not followed Pango development, but from what you describe,
> PnagoContext is the thing needed. Needed for no-pain frontend to
> printing text from most gnome apps.

Yes, it's quite unfortunate that nobody from the gnome-print team has
had time to follow Pango development. (And vice versa.) It means that
instead of having one nice solution for gnome-2.0, we probably will
have various partially incompatible solutions.

I'm not quite sure how you plan to use PangoContext - a PangoContext
describes information about a particular output device. It's a little
different than a GnomePrintContext in that every window on a screen
would typically share the same PangoContext.