Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print(fwd)

Robert L Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> It appears to me that your proposal is as follows:
>
> Application prints to Caanvas
>     Caanvas layer generates metafile
> 	Metafile is sent to print system
> 	    Print system feeds metafile through rasterizer
> 		Rasterizer output gets fed through back end printer driver
>
> Is that correct?

Almost.  The ca(a)nvas does not play any part in the most
straightforward pipeline, which is

	app -> gnome-print API -> metafile data -> server/rasterizer
	-> printer driver

The first three steps would not ever change, since after you have
metafile data you can pipe it to the server/rasterizer or to the print
preview rasterizer or whatever.

(Of course there is a separate communications channel in the opposite
direction so that you can query the print system for a printer's
capabilities and other funny stuff).

  Federico