Re: [Gnome-print] Universal binary file format

> Then we'll start having compatibility problems - what if a program creates
> gnome-print-metafile-1.2, but renderer can handle only 1.1? Current format
> does not allow it to skip unknown commands, so it has simply give up -
> thing I hate with most commercial programs/file formats - they refuse to
> open file which contains only one bit information they cannot handle.

Lauris, but this will happen with many many things more.

In this case we do have an advantage over the example you illustrated
before: you just need to upgrade the gnome-print library, as the new
version of the library would contain the code to handle the new file
format.

> The actual format of integers/floats can be different. Important point is
> the possibility of skipping unknown chunks.

I think this is actually a work-around the problem, but it would not
guarantee correct output (while upgrading the library would).

Ie, consider that one such command is "rotate 90 degrees", the output
will be completely messed.