Re: [gpm] Running the power manager under another session and while not having any battery to monitor?

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 16:07 +0200, Martin Ott wrote:
> Hello
>
> It's really nice to be able to put the system automatically to sleep
> and enable users to change what happens when they press the power or
> sleep button etc, BUT there are two comments I'd like to make:
>

> FIRST: Ever tried to run the manager under more than one user
> (sessions) logged in?

Yes. I'm waiting for a DBUS bug to be fixed before I can turn on the
system dbus activation stuff, so that there is *only* one instance
active at any one time.

> Well I happened to do it. One, where it was configured to sleep when
> power button pressed and in another to shutdown. The resul of pressing
> the button was firs to go to sleep and right after resuming a nice
> shut-down was done.

If you use the new at_console stuff (default in FC4, and now in breezy I
think) then only the user with the current focus has the action done.

> Altough it's funny and logical how such a configuration worked - such
> thing really should work in some other way. I suppose the power
> management is something like adjusting audio volume of the system. One
> user makes the power-button to sleep, it should work the same to any
> other. Also not two times on a row, when another user happens to have
> it's gnome session open too - still one operation per button-press
> would be nice (would it be sleep, hibernate or shutdown could be a
> matter of allowing someone to change the behaviour then)...

Ahh, DBUS to the rescue :-)

> SECOND: when set so in the prefs, maybe tray-icon should become
> visible even when there is no battery to monitor (or smthing), so the
> hibernate and suspend could be chosen there too. Just FYI maybe the
> reason for not having any batteries to monitor, was because I ran the
> thingy on my desktop computer (able to sleep quite well by the
> way). :-p

Yes, you can now choose to display the icon "always" if you use a more
up to date g-p-m. In the desktop case an ac_adapter icon would be shown.