Re: [gpm] GNOME Power Manager on Debian Etch

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 17:25 +0100, Julien Valroff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since dbus, hal and co. were updated this night in Debian etch, I could
> compile and install a Debian package of GNOME Power Manager (based on
> 0.3.4 package from Ubuntu).
>
> I notice 2 annoying things:
>
> * hibernate/suspend do not work:
> Nothing happens when using the context menu of the notification area
> icon. I usually use suspend2, which works great my laptop.
> Launching manually /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-power-hibernate
> successfully does a suspend-to-disk.

Have you edited /etc/dbus/system.d/hal.conf and added your user ID? I
don't think debian has the at_console PAM stuff needed for this to "just
work" yet -- Alejandro, can you confirm as I think you mentioned you
bugzilla'd the debian hal package with a few fixes.

> Note that hald is not run as root, but as hal user. If I run it as root,
> as suggested on
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/packages.html , gpm
> does not work as expected (almost no options in the preferences dialog
> for instance).

You might want to try a newer g-p-m, there have been lots of changes
since 0.3.4. (see below)

> * Unknown time:
> gpm does not seem to be able to catch the remaining time from my
> battery, whereas the standard GNOME applet does. This results as
> remaining time always being displayed as "Unknown time".

Again, I think this is fixed in a newer g-p-m.

> Here are information about the dependencies installed on my system:
> dbus 0.60
> hal 0.5.6
> libnotify 0.3.2
>
> Do you have ideas about both problems?

If a editing hal.conf, and a newer g-p-m does not fix things, can you
grab a g-p-m and hald verbose trace please, the details for this are
found here: http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/bugs.html

> If I can fix them, I could prepare a Debian package for gpm.

Alejandro Vera has already done a deb which I've been trying to upload
for the last few days, but gnomeweb has been doing odd things. For the
moment it is here: http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/data/debian/