Re: gnome-pilot can't see my palm V (jpilot can)

Hi Matt,

thanks again on this.
not much to report:
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 05:03:08PM +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 10:14 -0400, matt price utoronto ca wrote:
>
> Thanks for that.  Another thing that would be handy would be to turn on
> pilot-link debugging by setting the environment variables:
>         PILOT_DEBUG="DEV SLP CMP PADP NET SOCK"
>         PILOT_DEBUG_LEVEL="DEBUG"
>
> So, try rerunning with all that stuff:
>   env PILOT_DEBUG="DEV SLP CMP PADP NET SOCK" \
>     PILOT_DEBUG_LEVEL="DEBUG" gdb /usr/libexec/gpilotd.debug

tried running this command, but apparently gpilotd.debug is not
included in the Ubuntu packages (tried installing the -dev packages as
well, no luck).  running the regular gpilotd with the env variables
set gave no special bt output, but did append these messages to the
initial error:
gpilotd-Message: Found 12ef, 0100
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=9600
DEV POLL Serial Unix Found data on fd: 19
DEV RX Unix Serial Bytes: 1
NET RX: Checking for headerless packet 190
DEV RX Unix Serial Bytes: 5
NET RX type=190 txid=0xef len=0xed030302

unfortunately bt didn't seem to give any more info than before:
#0  0x00002aaaac2d1b25 in memcpy () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x00002aaaac2d10dd in memmove () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x00002aaaac017f29 in net_rx () from /usr/lib/libpisock.so.8
#3  0x00002aaaac018209 in net_rx_handshake () from
/usr/lib/libpisock.so.8
#4  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

> > > The other simple thing worth trying (with pilot-link 0.11.8) is
> > > increasing the 'timeout' value configured in gnome-pilot.
> >
> > found that value after some searching in
> > ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d/gpilotd.  Changing it didn't seem to have much
> > effect.
>
> It's also available in the configuration applet, under the 'devices'
> tab.

ah, missed it there.

> > OK, here is the gpilotd output followed by the stacktrace.
>
> I've had a look at the output.  My current theory is that gpilotd tries
> to connect, fails for some unknown reason, and then tries again before
> the palm has given up.  This causes gp to read half-consumed content
> from the palm, and processing this unexpected garbage causes a crash in
> pilot-link.  So, the crash we're seeing may not be the start of our
> troubles.  I'm hopeful that the extra pilot-link output might show an
> earlier problem.
>
> One thing worth trying: if you are running the gnome-pilot panel applet
> (that shows the enigmatic progress bar on sync, and the 'sync' icon that
> changes colour) you can right click on the applet to 'pause' the daemon.
> Try 'pausing' the daemon and then unpausing just after starting a sync
> on the palm.  This might help if the problem is caused by kernel/udev
> slowness in producing the ttyUSB device.

um, for some reason it wouldn't run just now.  Haven't used it much so
I'm not certain whether it's a persistent or trnasient problem; I will
reboot, see if that fixes things, and send more info if there is any.

Thanks much.  Any ideas what I ought to do next while you're enjoying
your evening (loads of time left in the day here...)?

Matt