Re: Can't sync with kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3.

Quoting Mark Healey <marklist healeyonline com>:

> David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> >
> >> Ever since I yum updated to kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3 I've had to
> >> reboot into kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3 to sync. Am I the only one with
> >> this problem? How do I fix it?

I can sync a Palm TE with jpilot via usb with 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3smp and now
2.6.12-1.1376_FC3smp, but I have to start the sync on the Palm, count to
10 slowly, and then hit the sync button in jpilot.  I have:

$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules
BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld", KERNEL="ttyUSB[13579]", NAME="pilot"

Note that if you have other devices than a TE or use other devices that connect
via ttyUSB port you may need to switch to even-numbered ports.

> >     Rule 1: Never use distribution supplied kernels
> >
> >     Rule 2: Refer to Rule 1.
>
> Why?

Because you will suffer from problems resulting from someone else's decisions
about what to include.

There are lots of kernel configuration settings.  Distros try to please their
"target" audience, so you end up with bugs associated with features you don't
use as well as features you do use that don't work because the kernel
configuration doesn't support your apps.  Redhat likes to use 4k stacks, which

is probably a good thing if you are building cost-effective web servers,
but is not adequate for XFS (SGI's filesystem, not the font server) or for the
hacks that let you use Win32 drivers for devices not yet supported natively.
Look at <http://apt.bea.ki.se/kernel-desktop/> for kernels tuned for desktop
use.

--
George N. White III