Re: Best way to migrate to a new device.

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:23:20 -0700, marklist healeyonline com wrote:
> OK now I'm more confused.  There is one directory called
> "/home/mark/MyPilot" which had everything except for memos
> which are separate files in "/home/mark/memos"

Actually, the MemoDB.pdb is kept in MyPilot (the backup conduit does this). The
memos directory is from the memos conduit - completely separate from your
backup conduit (which stores things in MyPilot)

> If I should decide to have several pilots wouldn't this
> confuse things?

Each pilot has its own directory. Open up the gpilot-control-applet and look at
your settings for your current pilot. It has a directory that it'll put
everyting into.

> Another thing.  I like to keep data files a directory or two
> deep from my user directories (this is a second physical
> hard drive).  It just makes upgrading easier.  For some
> reason when I tied to do this with Gnome Pilot it didn't
> work.  Why?

I'm confused. You can put your files wherever you want - I've created a
directory called 'Pilot' in my home directory, and below that, I have a
directories for the multiple PDAs I've had over the years. But, it doesn't
really matter where I put that directory.

> Still another thing.  Some of the apps I want to use are
> wrapped up in a windows installer.  How do I get them out?

I use Wine - they're usually just self-extractable exe files, which wine
handles well.

> I'm thinking I'll just start with it clean reinstall all the
> apps I use (many of them probably have been upgraded since)
> and beam the data from the 7135.

You can just install all the pdb files in your backup directory to your new
PDA. I did that when I migrated from my Sony Clie to my Tungsten E, and the
data transferred just fine. I actually installed most of my Clie apps on my
Tungsten E, and they worked without a problem. Only the Clie-specific apps
(ones made by Sony) didn't work on my Tungsten E. The PIM applications worked
just fine, as well as some other apps I had (cryptinfo, easycalc, and some
others).

Hope this helps.

Nathan Owens