Re: Can I add the charset parameter to the pilot device configuration?

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 12:35, Ladislav Sladecek wrote:
> I tried to synchronize my Palm IIIx with Evolution, but Evolution
> crashed. After some research, I found that this is an character
> set encoding problem. My Palm uses CP1250 while the pilot-link
> assumes CP1252 (latin1). An illegal unicode char makes the
> evolution addressbook plugin to crash:
>
> (process:2258): GLib-CRITICAL (recursed) **: file gstring.c: line
> 672 (g_string_erase): assertion `pos >= 0' failed aborting...

I'm not convinced your diagnosis points to the root cause of the crash.
What version of glib2 are you using?

I tracked one occurrence of this bug down to a bug in glib that made it
into fedora core 2.  I expect the current glib2 RPMs include the fix, so
try upgrading that first.

See my posting of May 26th:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-pilot-list/2004-May/msg00015.html

This fixed the problem for me.

As for your charset proposals, you should discuss any proposed changes
to pilot-link on the pilot-link-dev mailing list.  Ideally the charset
encoding is something that should be picked up from the palm device
directly.  Given that this isn't already done, I'd guess the info isn't
readily accessible, or that no one has been bothered enough.  I expect
the people on pilot-link-dev might be able to point you to that
information.

There is a patch floating around, dated 2002, that aimed to pick up a
PILOTCHARSET environment variable and use it in pilot-link's
convert_ToPilotChar.  It was never incorporated into pilot-link, so
maybe David Desrosiers will comment.

Matt

Matt Davey		The journey of a thousand miles begins with
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk	       	    a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.