Re: Netsync with gpilotd

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 13:15, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > Are you running pi-csd? That is the listening process that needs to
> > run on the machine on which gnome-pilot is running.
>
>  	I've never had to run pi-csd at all to handle netsync with
> gpilotd. In fact, in over 7 years of using pilot-link, I've never
> found a single case where I've had to run pi-csd at all, ever. Its odd
> that it would require it now.

In my first message I admitted I've never network hotsynced with
gnome-pilot.  Guess I shouldn't post advice based on a google search
without verifying it myself.  The code for gpilotd actually borrows from
pi-csd, so it looks like there's no need for pi-csd itself.

Looking at the code for gnome-pilot, it looks like network hotsyncing is
broken.  This squares with most user experiences.

David, when you tested it and reported it working, did you run with a
localhost test, or a genuine remote test?  I'm a bit suspicious, and
reckon that maybe the 'type' field in your .gnome2/gnome-pilot.d/gpilotd
causes gpilotd to wakeup when a local USB connection is triggered,
ignoring the net: setting.  Did you see network traffic to tcp 14238?

Matt
--
Matt Davey        Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	all its pupils - Hector Berlioz