[newbie] cant synch to palm pilot; MD 10.0 OFL

I am not getting my palm pilot to sync.

I did a clean install of 10.0 official and would like to get my palm pilot to
work.  Its a clie peg sj22, it connects via usb.  I was able to do some type
of sync under 9.2.  I'm not sure I had that working 100% correctly, but i
know it was at least syncing to some degree.

I have tried under both jpilot and pilot.
I have received the message:
Warning (gpilotd)
Unknown pilot- no pilots matches ID -1073745932
Use gnomecc to set pilots ID

Whats that?  How do I get there?  Is it referring to “pilot” under the
applications:office:communications menu?  I tried that.  I tried “getting ID
from pilot.  Doesn't seem to work.   I haven't tried sending ID to pilot as I
would still like to be able to sync with me windoZe machine.

I tried copying the full message from jpilot, but i could not figure out how
to copy the text.  “<ctrl> c” didn't seem to work and there was no copy
function on the menus.

I also got the msg:
Could not open /home/g/.jpilot/saved preferences

“pilot” settings do say “usb”.

After nothing worked, I tried
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot
as root.

Now when I “get id from pilot” and then push sync on the pilot itself,
something seems to happen because the pilot says its syncing, and then it
says finished, cleaning up and that its all been synced.  But when the
desktop returns to control, there is still no ID in that field, actually it
fills in a zero.  But now the pilot doesn't just hang without a connection,
so it seems like something is happening, but it isn't syncing.

Any advice would be appreciated.
yea, I'm a newbie :)

Gideon

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com