unresolved symbols in libraries

I'm looking for some comments on an effort I'm currently undertaking. For
some background, see:

In short, the bug report above is about the fact that gnome-pilot's
libraries, by default, don't link to all their dependencies; rather,
they seem to expect that anything linking to them take care of those
dependencies themselves.

Within the bug report is a fairly minor patch that fixes most of those
occurrences. As a matter of fact, all that's left are the following from
libgpilotdCM.so:
undefined symbol: gnome_pilot_conduit_sync_type_int_to_str (./libgpilotdcm.so)
undefined symbol: gnome_pilot_conduit_set_name  (./libgpilotdcm.so)
undefined symbol: gnome_pilot_conduit_sync_type_str_to_int (./libgpilotdcm.so)

These symbols are provided by libgpilotd.so. Of course, libgpilotdCM is
built before libgpilotd and gnome-pilot (since gnome-pilot links to it),
so I don't see a way around it without splitting gpilotd and libgpilotd
builds into two separate build trees. This is, however, a fairly major
reorganization of the source code -- there's sufficient common sources
and headers that at least toplevel common/ and include/ directories are
warranted, which basically means that there won't be many parts of the
source that aren't touched.

I'm perfectly willing to do the work, but attempting to keep such split
sources in sync with the upstream versions would be nightmareish at best.
It's not something I'm going to attempt unless you folks are interested
in integrating my results into your CVS. What do you folks (mainly JPR
and company but I'm happy to hear any opinions) think?

--
Mike Markley <mike markley org>