Sync Evolution and Visor

Stumped. I'm trying to sync my Visor Prism with Evolution 1.4 on Mandrake 9.1.

The hardware all works. I can sync with Kpilot, Jpilot, and pilot-xfer in a
terminal. Can't do it with Evolution.

When I try to set up the initial sync, to get the ID off of the visor, the
druid runs through its paces, but the Visor doesn't connect and times out. I
have tried telling Gnome-Pilot that it needs to sync to ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1,
dev/usb/tts/0, dev/usb/tts/1. I've checked USB and serial, and no joy.

I've gone to Gnome desktop and tried to configure it through the GCC, all with
the same result.

I suspect that something got fubared the first couple of times I tried to
sync, and now it can't "forget" that and get the right settings.

How can I determine what is happening? Can I run something from a terminal and
get some error message? Is there a log of error messages hidden somewhere? In
~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d there are two files, gpilotd and queue. What do these
tell me? They show the settings, but that doesn't really tell me much.

Thanks for any pointers.
John