Re: Neo Visor/Evo 1.4MDK 9.1 - won't sync first time w/out entering Pilot Settings

Le mar 16/09/2003 à 16:27, Paul M. Bucalo a écrit :
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 10:06, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> > > While I don't wish to be argumentative, I find this comment strange.
> > > Mandrake Linux and the 2.4.?? kernels are not just implementing devfs.
> > > Documentation indicates this is a new advancement, not old practice. In
> > > Mandrake, it seems to be pretty much 'de facto', now. Am I missing
> > > something here?
> >
> > No, you are not.. ATM, it is the only solution with kernel 2.4.x to get
> > events for all kind of new hardware plugged in/out on the system..
>
> So, are you saying I would be better off reinstating 'devfsd'? I have
> stopped it from loading. So far, getting syncs to work predictably has
> been more a nightmare than when I had 'devfs' running. <big sigh>

I thought my mail was clear enough.. Mandrake system is tested mainly
with devfs enabled.. If you disable it and something breaks, too bad for
you..

> > > I'll blacklist visor from hotplug. I already load the visor module in
> > > '/etc/modules.conf'.
> >
> > Adding VISOR=yes in /etc/sysconfig/usb should be enough to get visor
> > module loaded at startup..
>
> Here's the contents of my '/etc/modules.conf':
>
> probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage ide-scsi
> probeall usb-interface usb-uhci visor
> alias sound-slot-0 maestro3
>
> If I make the change in '/etc/sysconfig/usb', wouldn't I need to remove
> 'visor' from the end of the second line in my 'fstab'?
Remove visor from the probeall usb-interface line, this is completely
broken (read modules.conf manual to understand why..)
Don't touch your fstab.. It has a proc/bus/usb entry which MUST be
enabled.

> Does the way I have it give me the same result as changing
> '/etc/sysconfig/usb'?
>
> Does it matter, or is this a matter of preference? I really would like
> to *learn* the answer, not just know what it is.

Read the script for usb in /etc/init.d/usb if you want to undertand why
it will work..

I gave you the RIGHT way to get visor working on Mdk system..

> > > I checked and permissions are OK. Still don't see why I should have to
> > > re-enter the control applet to get Evo/Gnome Pilot to function on a
> > > sync, though. Devfsd is allowing the first connection to be made, but
> > > only after I re-enter the info into Evo's 'Pilot Settings'. It's fine
> > > thereafter.
> >
> > This is fixed in Mdk 9.2RC2 which is not accessing /dev before hotsync
> > button is pressed.. It was working more or less in 9.1 because
> > gnome-pilot wasn't ported yet for GNOME2..
>
> Are you saying that 'gnome-pilot' is really a Gnome1 app and not updated
> as yet to be a Gnome2 applet? Could this be why I have this disparity
> between accessing 'gpilotd-control-apple' through the Evo menus versus
> ruinning it at the command-line in a terminal?

Again re-read my answer !!

In Mdk 9.1, getting gnome-pilot working on a GNOME2 setup was quite
difficult because gnome-pilot was not yet GNOME2.. This is no longer the
case in Mdk 9.2RC2.

> > In short, Evo 1.4.x + gnome-pilot 2.0.10 is working fine in Mdk 9.2RC2
> > default setup (which is used devfs by default)..
>
> I've got a lot of time and some money invested in MDK 9.1. To the honest
> truth is that I can't be productive in my work trying to keep up with a
> 6-month release cycle and stay current. I have to make 9.1 sing and
> dance for me for as long as possible. If I can find fixes for 9.1 and
> stay away from 9.2, at least for this year, I would be a happy camper.

Too bad for you then..

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
Mandrakesoft