Re: supported PDA lists

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 16:12, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
    On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 19:21, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
        > Anyway, the short answer is that there are multiple lists, two of which
        > are relevant here: the drivers/usb/serial/visor.h file with which your
        > kernel was built, and the middle of the gpilotd.c file in the gnome-pilot
        > source tree.

        	The latest 2.4 and 2.5 kernel has support for adding vendor_id and
        product_id strings to /etc/modules.conf on the visor.o load line (care of
        Judd Montgomery's [J-Pilot author's] patch).

    Very cool, thanks for the info!  In essence, this allows any new 2.4/2.5
    kernel to support any bleeding-edge PalmOS device, which is outstanding!

    That addresses one point of my previous post (intersection between
    kernel and frond-end lists determining PDA support).  But then, for this
    to be easy to use/transparent, gnome-pilot (or gpilotd) would have to be
    gnomesu, this doesn't seem to be an option.

It looks like I'm not the only one thinking in this way.  Havoc
Pennington's "Making Hardware Just Work"
(http://ometer.com/hardware.html) and the HAL project
(http://pdx.freedesktop.org/~hal/) are on the way to making this happen
more generically.  So g-p just has to hook into this, when it's ready...

Zeen,
--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg