Re: Problem synching Handspring Treo 180g over USB

Thomas Maeder wrote:
So, if I knew what needs to be patched for preventing the workstation
from freezing after each sync, I might be able to compile a usable
kernel. Can somebody tell me what's needed?

I have seen this happen occaisionally to very often with several versions of the kernel above 2.4.18. A different build of the same kernel tree may behave better or worse than another build. It appears to me to be a race condition on the open of the USB tty device but quite whats causing it I don't know. I do not know of any kernel patch that actually fixes it.... the last kernel set I used (2.4.21-rc8 + ac) never showed the problem in the few weeks I used it, the current (2.4.21 laptop build - see sourceforge) has shown it one in 50 hotsyncs (rough estimate). Another kernel (on different hardware to that I now use) would hit one sync in 2.

We need to get Greg K-H interested in this one, I think.

	Nigel.