Re: Handpring Visor connects from commandline but not gui

The change in permissions fixed the issue.  Thanks for the help you were
very helpful.  I have been trying on and off to get this thing working
for a couple of years but was stymied by all sorts of things (usb
issues, core dumps, etc).  I hadn't tried to get the synch to work in
many months so I figured I would try today.

	I'm sorry, I misinterpreted "run evolution from root" to
> actually mean "run evolution from root". My bad. What did you mean then?

What I meant was that just for test purposes I once ran evolution as
root, only after I confirmed that when I ran  pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1
-l as root it worked and didn't when I ran it as a user other than
root.  I don't habitually or even periodically run Evolution as root.  I
ran it once as root.  Hence, when I run Evolution as root I can synch.
This forum is in the context of assistance with gnome-pilot not
lecturing people on security.  It certainly should not be about sarcasm
( You're scared of changing permissions on a device, but you have no
problem running X and Evolution and gnome as root!? Boggle.  ).  What
part of that statement was not rude?   Was I a prick to you in any
way???
 Believe it or not I do have a MS in CS and I have been doing
development on UNIX systems for 8 years.  I am not a complete moron.
You are being very helpful but also rude.  The two are not mutually
exclusive.

Thanks for the help

Neil