Re: Building from CVS

On 17 Jan 2001 23:46:56 -0500
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com> wrote:

> Are you sure that you don't have pilot-link installed as a package
> somewhere?  Have you run ldconfig?
> are the pilot link libs in your linker path?
>
> -JP

Yes, that was apparently the problem -- an old pilot-xfer installed as an RPM package.  Now I have successfully compiled/installed the software but haven't yet been able to make it work.

Where is the best place to find documentation on how things are supposed to work?  I have a Handspring Visor, and I used the '--enable-usb-visor' config flag, but I'm not sure what all it does.  I know the visor doesn't show up in the /proc/bus/usb filesystem until you have pressed the hotsync button on the cradle.  But I have tried this before trying to run things.

>From the README, it sounds like I should start things off by running pilot_applet from the command line.  When I do this, the panel gets much larger, but there is no visible icon displayed.  However I can right click on an 'empty' area of the panel and see that I am clicking 'on' gnome-pilot.  The commandline where I started pilot_applet continues to say "INITIALIZING" and doesn't ever get past that.  I have tried starting gpilotd manually before doing pilot_applet -- but it doesn't help.  One problem is I'm not sure what I'm doing.  What is really supposed to startup gpilotd?  What wierdness is involved because it is a visor, and doesn't show up until I press the sync button?

Can someone point me at the FAQ?

thanks,
bob

Bob Robison          Southwest Research Institute,http://www.swri.org
Staff Engineer             Signal Exploitation & Geolocation Division
brobison swri org               Phone:(210)522-3935/Fax:(210)522-2709