RE: gnomecard fields

Bobby de Vos writes:
 > Greetings,
 >
 > I tried out gnome-pilot today, and overall I was pleased. My question
 > is how do you handle the differences between the fields in gnomecard
 > and the fields in the Palm addressbook?

Well. It was basically guesswork on my part. I tried to do what made
most sense. There are obviously a few improvements that should be done.

 > Some examples...
 >
 > In gnomecard, I created an entry in the Categories and Birthday field,
 > but those fields got overwritten on the next sync.

That shouldn't be *unless* you have chosen Copy From Pilot syncing
option. I think

 > An entry on the Palm had both a Main and Other attribute on two phone
 > numbers, after a sync gnomecard saw both attributes as PREF, and when
 > the palm got synced again, both the Main and Other attributes had been
 > set to Other.

Well the mapping is a bit weird. Here's what it looks like: (take from
the source)

Pilot side:
  0 Work
  2 Fax
  3 Other
  4 E-mail
  5 Main
  6 Pager
  7 Mobile

/* from gnomecard side.
static enum PhoneType phone_type[]= {
	PHONE_WORK,
	PHONE_HOME,
	PHONE_FAX,
	PHONE_PREF,   /* TODO: What to do with "Other"? */
	0,           /* email */
	PHONE_PREF,
	PHONE_PAGER,
	PHONE_CELL
};

As you can see most make sense except "Other->PREF" and "Main->PREF",
but they really don't map any better. Any suggestions? And that's also
why it mapped differently on the way back as both PREF mapped to the
Other (first choice).

 > So, is there some documentation on how the mapping of fields gets
 > done, or should I read the source? Could the conduit be rewritten so
 > that unknown fields, from the Palm's point of view, are ignored, not
 > removed on the PC side?

That's the way it should be. It's a bug if it doesn't do it. What
syncing options did you choose (both on main capplet and the GnomeCard
conduit capplet)?

-Vadim

PS. There's also ideally should be some configurable way to handle Custom
pilot fields.