Re: Control center and conduits

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Eskil Heyn Olsen wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Manish Vachharajani wrote:
>
> First of, I think using capplets for properties would be Ok. The current
> properties programs are gnome dependent anyway.
>
> > Well, we don't make them capplets because the current pilot config stuff
> > doesn't handle multiple pilots.  The properties programs need to handle
> > multiple pilots.  I don't know if they currently do or not, but they
>
> They do. They take the pilot_id as commandline argument.

> > programs in capplet mode, but how would the admin tool call them then when
> > dealing with multiple pilots?  Or will we make the control center stuff
>
> Thats another problem, since the admin tool can't call run_configuration
> without "instantiating" the conduit, and that requires giving it a
> pilot_id as argument,

True, which basically defeats the purpose of run_configuration.  I say we
just eliminate it and put an expert mode into the capplet where you can
config multiple conduits.  Then we just use desktop files for the conduit
config, I guess.  The only thing is how do we build the tree in the
capplet?  I would like to see conduits in a subtree for each pilot, but I
don't know if you can do this with the control center.  We can place our
conduit config .desktop files in $installdir/share/gpilotd or someplace
else appropriate.  Then the guy who populates the tree with all the pilots
and stuff can read these desktop files to know which conduits exist.  We
should also check a user specific location as well.

> which then ties that conduit to the given pilots
> config. So the tool has to use all sorts of tricks, first loading all
> conduits to get a list, destroying them and the reinstantiate when people
> want to config.

Forget it, this is broken, just forget about run_configuration.

> > decide which methods the conduit supports. It seems a little pointless to
> > have run_configuration though so maybe we should just remove it.  What
> > does everyone think?
>
> Well, the only good that run_configuration does right now, is deciding of
> the exec name to execute, but could be done with desktop entries in a
> special conduits dir.

See what i said above.  If you are working on the initial CORBA stuff
maybe I can look at adding an expert mode to the capplet and converting
the config programs to capplets.  What do you think?  Would you be willing
to help with this Mike?

Manish Vachharajani
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>