Re: Build order

Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On 24 May 2001 22:59:33 +0200, Drazen Kacar wrote:

> > You can move this to First build, since libxml doesn't depend on anything.
> > libxml2 requires readline.
>
> glib is in the "build first" section because I can't un-install it from
> my machine,

:-)

> and thus I was unable to test what other packages could
> build without it.  The other reason that it's in that first batch all by
> it's lonesome is to attempt to keep the number of batches to a minimum,
> and keep the number of packages in each to a maximum.

This poses a question of goal. Your perspective is "if you want to build
Gnome, here's how to do it without dependency problems." Another possible
perspective is somewhat different. Say I need a functionality which some
program brings (eg. Dia) and I know what I already have installed. Then I
would need to know which libraries that I don't have installed Dia
requires. In this scenario your batch concept is not very useful.

But I hope that from gathering this data we would be able to draw various
diagrams (in Dia? :-) that should be able to provide interesting
information for all scenarios.

> > > gnome-print requires gnome-libs gdk-pixuf ORBit gtk+ libxml
> >
> > Version 0.28 (that's the latest, I think) doesn't require ORBit. Whether
> > it requires gtk+ is questionable. There are some GTK based test programs,
> > but they are not installed by default. And it requires gdk-pixbuf, which
> > in turn requires gtk+. But I think there is no single GTK (or GDK) API
> > call in objects which get installed.
>
> Hmm...  If it's not strictly required, then it's required for full
> functionality.  There's a test for ORBit in the configure script for
> gnome-print, at the very least.  I tried to list optional dependancies,
> where possible.
> The GTK+ dependancy should certainly be removed, since gdk-pixbuf
> requires GTK+.  We should not list implied dependancies explicitly
> (this, if something requires gnome-print, there's no need to list gtk+
> nor gdk-pixbuf).

Well, since gnome-libs require ORBit, then ORBit is also implied
dependency. But I assure you that gnome-print doesn't do anything with
ORBit directly (no API calls). I would get linker errors otherwise.

OTOH, in my scenario (Dia example) implied dependencies are useful,
because it's annoying to go backwards through dependency list in order to
find out the first source tarball which needs to be compiled. But full
dependency list should be shown in another diagram; not in the "build full
Gnome" one.

Version information would also be very useful, but I'm afraid it's hard to
gather it. Another piece of information I forgot to write in the previous
mail: bonobo 1.0.4 wants ORBit 0.5.8 and it's not happy with 0.5.7.

--
 .-.   .-.    Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.