Re: Status + Future

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 02:21, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Bastien Nocera">
>
> > http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/
> >
> > It needs i18n and a g2 port.
>
> Ah, snoogens. Perhaps we should do a comparison between this and the new
> Debian installer? Do you know much about it?

Nope. All I know is that PGI works now.

> > > I'm more and more convinced that with some hacking, GST (once-was-XST) is
> > > the Right Way to do this, despite some of its warts.
> >
> > Yep. My found-again Perl literacy would love this.
>
> I'm told the first step would be to get it switched to saner (standardised)
> XML parsing libs and such.

For that, the data it reads would have to be in xml, which it is not. Or
did I misunderstand that sentence ?

> > > Yeah, I like this one.
> >
> > Idea (tm) Owen Taylor. That's what he told me the future of magicdev would
> > be.
>
> Oh, great. What's the best way for passing events from the hotplug scripts
> up to user-owned proggies?

Dude, that's why it's a "task". Because it needs to be talked about, and
implemented. If I was to implement it, I would use Unix sockets. But I'm
not the one doing it (at least not yet), so it's really up to the person
who's going to take this on. If somebody wants to use IPC or whatever,
it's fine by me.

I would think all the solutions for this would be fine, as long as we
end up with readable and simple code. (Somebody fancy doing this on top
of CORBA ? ;)

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net