Re: GRAND MASTER PLAN

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 21:28, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Actually, based on the "trouble tickets" that I see come in at work, the
> exact opposite is true.

Ah touche, but in my previous job I had to make reports and they were
all required to be presented as Word documents.

> If what is being presented is:
>  - An income statement,
>  - Any sort of summary report,
>  - Any sort of report consisting of columns filled with figures,
> then I can't see what is "fundamentally inappropriate" about using a
> spreadsheet for the purpose.
>
> Indeed, using a word processor to work with columnar reports is likely
> to be a lot _less_ user friendly than its alternatives.

This is a pointless discussion.  There are different requirements for
the output of a report.  There are WP-like requirements and SS-like
requirements.  Both had advantages (WP - good text formatting and
layout, SS - graphs and columns).

It shouldn't matter whether the output is to Abi or Gnumeric, it should
be possible for both.

Data > Report > Presentation (AbiWord || Gnumeric || Other)
--
- Charlie

Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>
Online @ http://www.charlietech.com