Re: [Inkscape-devel] Joining GNOME Office

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 03:19, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> well, libgda could help in the storing and reading of the data from the
> database. Not sure if it fits here. If you just want to parse the XML in
> a specific way, using libxml2 directly might be better.
>
> What I don't understand here is why you'd want to store all that in a
> "database", don't the XML just come from the .SVG files?

Yeah... I'm not sure I did such a good job of communicating what I was
going for originally.

The "database" idea isn't so much for storage as for manipulating the
document in memory -- the current and planned representations are just
databases in mostly the same sense that a GHashTable might be -- it's
just that I found that applying database concepts and terminology
improved the design.

However, using a "real" database of some kind to implement a "shared
workspace" is something I want to keep an eye on; we'll need something
like that when we broach some of the collaborative editing functionality
we've discussed in the past.

If we can use libgda for that rather than rolling our own API, that'd be
really cool (and would potentially make it easier for e.g. external
scripts in languages with just a libgda binding to participate in an
editing session).

What I've learned from this conversation is that it's at least possible
in principle with libgda, which is good to know.

-mental