Re: GnuCash page on GO site

At 12:14 PM 2/19/2004, Josh Sled wrote:

Hmm. So long as the apps are all leveraging the same library, this
may be true.  I think the situation you don't want to end up in is one
where there's this horrendously large multi-function library, which each
application only uses a small part of, but must be installed to get any
one of them to work individually.  Note this applies to a set of smaller
libraries, as well.

Well, the all-in-one installer is an important part of the project from a "Gaining customers" ( by customers I mean traditional software uses as opposed to users comfortable with the current and previous states of installing open source apps. :) )

Admittedly, I feel strongly also about the ability to produce sellable manuals and CDs as a way to pay for whatever resources projects need. I clearly look at some of these things differently than ya'll and while I don't think there is an explicit right way, I hope some heed is paid to my occasional "traditional make money sounding ideas" because they apply to growing the user base which is just as important in many ways.

That said, any monolithic installer should be bright enough to turn off packages we don't want/need and be bright enough to skip irrelevant dependencies.

Some might say that it's even more important on Linux, because of all
the choices available.

Very good point. Particularly when introducing mom to your favorite Penguin or Demon.