RFP: CompoundStorage document

KDE has something like this, and I'd think that it would be a good idea for us to have something like it too. Feel free to disagree with me (or make my argument better, for that matter).

What I'd like to see is an abstract baseclass/interface which sensibly represents a compound document. Some requirements would be:

1) Easy mime-type identification (possibly achieved through points 2,3)
2) Creation of heirarchical structure (subfolders inside of the document)
3) Creation of streams within the root folder (/) and subfolders
4) "Normal" file operations, such as reading, writing, seeking, ...

This storage interface could be then implemented by things such as:

* Zip/JAR (ala OpenOffice)
* OLE2
* TGZ (ala KOffice)

I think that having a nice base interface which can be implemented by subclasses would be a great leap for us, especially as we try to achieve greater compatibility with existing products on the market, such as MSFT and OpenOffice.

Just a throught up for grabs - I'd be interested in working on something like this. As a side bonus, other non-office applications could potentially benefit from this too.

Dom
/glad to see some traffic on this list again

--
Men are incapable of using sex to get what they want. Sex IS what men want. Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. "Yes" is the answer.