Common music database?

I was hoping to start a thread on a common multimedia backend for
all the various players that we have.  On the table, we have rhythmdb,
sqlite backends, and I think another using another embedded library.

By in large, it seems that sqlite is the most popular in backends in terms
of speed.  What would be nice is to decide on what would be an acceptable
architecture for the backend and then move everyone to it.

This includes:

* Location
* per user/per machine?
* Architecture to allow notifictions of db changes
* Speed
* Name?

Hopefully, people will support this effort.

Thanks,
sri