Re: GNOME-media 2.5.5

<quote who="Thomas Vander Stichele">

> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 11:07, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Remember though, that the gst-properties dialogue is not exposed in
> > GNOME at all so far (at least to my knowledge, which could be slightly
> > warped right now).
>
> "Exposed" meaning "it's not promoted or documented", right ?

Meaning that it's not exposed in the user interface at all. Unless users
know about the binary, it doesn't exist.

> I remember us taking that decision (if it was a conscious one at all) to
> not advertise it for 2.4.  Does that still hold today ? Ie, IMO it seems
> to work fine, and we should probably start advertising it ?

Not for 2.6! Probably the best strategy would be to start thinking about a
multimedia capplet to replace the sound capplet, that handles these kinds of
issues. (And throwing out sound event prefs entirely and/or shifting them
into the themes space.)

My main concerns are: Would a 'multimedia capplet' be gstreamer specific?
Does/will gstreamer satisfy all the desktop user requirements? If so, is
gstreamer going to be shifted into the platform (or simply be regarded as
something that GNOME requires, such as libpng or the freedesktop libs).

gstreamer-properties, right now, exposes too much gstreamer foo to the user
(pipelines) and is totally gstreamer-specific. A 'multimedia capplet' would
either not be required at all (autoconfiguration from hal or something), or
would present these choices in a way that users can understand. Choosing
between ALSA, OSS and ESD (and perish the thought, 'Custom') is probably not
along the lines of "just works" enough for GNOME. ;-)

- Jeff

    "And the only time I met George W Bush, he said to me, 'Hey Mike! Go
              find real work.' Of all people!" - Michael Moore